Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll have listened to 200 albums which I never expected to do. At the time of writing, I've listened to 195 and it's been a revelation. A lot of great music came out in a year where it would have been acceptable to curl into a ball and not want to create anything. But my favourite artists did and produced some of their best works to date.
The list below isn't a ranked list, although the top 7 are my overall top 7 for the year in a rough order. Agüita is for sure my #1 and Mordechai is a very close second. Knxwledge's 1988 was so damn good, as was Ahwlee's VII which was like a hip hop RKO outta nowhere. The biggest surprise was Maelo Ruiz's La Unica, a salsa album I would never have found if it wasn't for a Python script I created (I might publish it some day).
Anyway, enjoy and buy them if you can!
- Gabriel Garzón-Montano – Agüita
- Khruangbin – Mordechai
- Knxwledge – 1988
- Ahwlee – VII
- Jessie Ware – What's Your Pleasure?
- Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia
- Nick Hakim – WILL THIS MAKE ME GOOD
- Blu & Exile – Miles
- Kamaal Williams – Wu Hen
- Vanilla – Into the Dream
- Rina Sawayama – SAWAYAMA
- Emily King – Sides
- Xavier Omär – if You Feel
- SAULT – Untitled (Black Is)
- Youngs Teflon – Call of Duty 3
- Jahari Massamba Unit – Pardon My French
- Laura Marling – Song For Our Daughter
- King Krule – Man Alive!
- Baxter Dury – The Night Chancers
- James Beckwith – Long Distance
- Elzhi – Seven Times Down Eight Times Up
- Tame Impala – The Slow Rush
- Maelo Ruiz – La Unica
- Bartees Strange – Live Forever